Today I took off the mould to see how it turned out and what needed to be changed in the next version.
Overall it came out alright, though there are many small things to change for the next version. It was nice to see that the steel grate cast into the concrete worked well. The visible horizontal line on the outside actually has nothing to do with the steel grate but rather a lack of concrete to cast in one go.
There is a lot that I learned about what to change and improve upon for the next cast. Some things I found were:
- The mould was covered in wax paper for easy removal. The concrete took on the fold pattern and grabbed it in some places. This will be removed.
- I had to cast in two stages since there was not enough concrete for the whole thing. There is an obvious line where the two sections meet.
- The overall weight is rather heavy. Yes I knew it would be heavy but it is a bit more than I would have liked. I am going to reduce the wall thickness down to 1" from 1.5".
- The inside part of the mould was difficult to remove and had to be broken. I will try to use foam sheets as the material for the next version.
This week I will try to recast a second version with the appropriate changes, then put the wood top together.